Saturday 31 May 2014

Nonya Dumplings

When I told my hubby that I am making Kee Zhang myself this year. He gave me a challenge to add in this yummy Nonya dumpling in my to do list too! I remembered I used to help my Mum to cut the candid winter melon into small pcs while my sister cut the onions with tears. Haha! Sweet Memories. Back to topics, since my man had set me a target, I got to fulfill his wish. I browsed through blog & Youtube and come out with this yummy combination. Do give it a try if you love NONYA dumplings like my family. My kids, hubby and even my Mum gave me a thumb up!
Nice triangle Nonya dumpling! Success!
My kids gave me a super thumb up, it's really Yummylicious

Nonya Dumplings 
(Make 24-28pcs medium size)
  • 800g of glutinous rice, washed and soaked overnight
  • 60pcs of dumpling leaves, soaked overnight and clean for wrapping
  • Some dried grass straw, soaked overnight

Filling
  • 650g lean pork, cut into small cubes
  • 50g of dried shrimp, soaked and chopped into small pcs
  • 12 dried chinese mushrooms, soaked and cut into small cubes
  • 200g of Candid winter melon, Chopped into small cubes
  • 5 tablespoon of coriander powder, add in water to make into paste
  • 6 garlic and 12 small shallots, chopped
  • 1/4 cup of cooking oil
  • 1 tablespoon of dark soy sauce
  • 2 tablespoon of sugar
  • 2.5 teaspoon of salt
  • Some pepper to taste
To fry the Glutinous Rice
  • 3 tablespoon of oil
  • 3 shallots 
  • 1 teaspoon of coriander powder
  • 1 teaspoon of salt
  • some pepper.

Steps
Preparing the glutinous rice
  1. Stir fry shallots with oil in the pan till it is golden brown. Remove the shallot and keep the oil in the pan.
  2. Add in coriander powder, salt and pepper to the oil and give a good stir for 30sec.
  3. Off the fire and add in the glutinous rice and give a good stir and set aside for wrapping later.
Preparing the filling
  1. Add in oil and heat it in a pan. Saute the garlic and shallot till it is golden brown.
  2. Add in the dried shrimp and fry till fragrant.
  3. Add in the coriander paste and continue to stir fry.
  4. Add in the mushroom, pork and winter melon and continue to stir fry
  5. Add in the dark soy sauce, salt, sugar and pepper.
  6. Cook till dry and set aside for wrapping later
To wrap the dumpling
  1. Take 2 leave and form a cone.
  2. Line the cone with a little glutinous rice, follow by the filling and top the glutinous rice to cover.
  3. Wrap the dumpling and tie it tightly with the grass straw.
To cook the dumpling
  1. Cook a large pot of water 
  2. Immerse the dumplings in the boiling water
  3. Boil it for 2 hrs.
  4. Bring out the dumpling from the pot and hang cool the dumpling for at least 1 hrs before serving.
TAGlicious Ciao~

Do like and join me at my Facebook page Taglicious





No comments:

Post a Comment