Saturday 31 May 2014

Lye water Rice Dumpling ~ Kee Zhang

The Dragon Boat (Duwan Wu) Festival is around the corner. Last year, I attended the dumpling festival celebration at Fujian Hui Guan and learnt how to wrap my very first dumpling. I set a target to make my own rice dumpling this year. For a first timer like me, I choose the most safer and easier dumpling to make just in case I failed the task. I seek for my mummy's advice, she roughly guided me what is the basic ingredient needed and preparation. It's sound easy but the fearing part is the wrapping of the rice dumpling. I glad that I tried and I did it! If I can do it, you can do it too!

Kee Zhang with Gula Melaka Syrup
Lye water rice dumpling
(Make 40-45 mini size)
Things needed:
  • 1 kg of glutinous rice 
  • 1 lye rock
  • 90pcs of dumpling leaves or more ( I used 2 leaves to wrap one dumpling) 
  • Dried grass straw

Steps:

  1. Soak the dumpling leave & dried grass straw one day before the dumpling making.Use a cloth to clean the leaves before wrapping.
  2. Wash the glutinous rice till the water is clear.
  3. Dissolve the lye rock with some hot water.
  4. Pour the lye water to the washed glutinous rice and give a good stir. Soak it overnight.
  5. To wrap a dumpling, take 2 dumpling leaves and form a cone.
  6. Fill up the cone with the Glutinous rice.
  7. Wrap the dumpling and tie it tightly with the grass string.
  8. Once wrapping is done, Bring a large pot of water to boil.
  9. Immerse the dumpling in the boiling water, make sure all dumplings is cover by water.
  10. Boil for 2 hrs. Remember to add in water to cover the dumpling every 30-45mins.
  11. Bring out the dumpling from the pot and hang cool for at least 1 hr before serving. 
Kee Zhang tastes bland. Some of you serve it with KAYA, Honey or Sugar. I love to have my Kee Zhang with Gula Melaka syrup. Making the syrup is simple. You take a pcs of gula melaka and cut them into small pcs. Add in some water to boil and dissolve it under low fire. 

Yummy

TAGlicious Ciao~

Do like and join me at my Facebook page Taglicious




No comments:

Post a Comment