Wednesday 9 April 2014

A stawberry cake for a SPECIAL him

I started my baking journey 2 years ago after my hubby got me an oven. From then, I will try to bake my own cakes for special occasion for my loved one.


Today, is my dear birthday. I decided to bake a simple cake for him again. Nothing fancy but it is made with all my love. Glad that he gave me a thumb up for this cake and even my mother in law who is not a cake lover asked for 2nd serving. 

































Look at the Yummy Strawberries!



































Sponge Cake (A keeper recipe)
Recipe adapt from Nasi lemak lover
(I doubled the recipe to bake a 8 inches by 3 inches non-stick cake tin with removable bottom)

Things needed:
100g unsalted butter
100g TOP flour (Original recipe call for cake flour)
6 egg yolks (A size)
110g milk

6 egg whites (A size)
100g caster sugar
12g corn starch

Steps:
  1. Prepare a cake pan, you don’t need to line paper, just like how u bake a chiffon cake.
  2. Separate the eggs into 2 mixing bowls. Remember to use room temperature eggs.
  3. Melt the butter in a pan using small fire and cook till you see small bubbles and remove it from heat.
  4. Add in the flour to the butter immediately, stir quickly till you cannot see the flour. Then add in milk and mix till it smooth.
  5. Add in egg yolk one at a time to the mixture. Stir well on each addition. The batter is slightly runny if compare to normal chiffon batter. Set aside and we can start preparing the meringue
  6. Mix the sugar & corn starch together before mixing it with the egg white.
  7. Beat the egg white till foamy using electric whisk, gradually add in sugar and corn starch mixture in 3 batches. Continue to beat until approaching it stiff peaks (meringue stand straight up with a little curve at the tip).
  8. Take 1/3 of meringue and use a hand whisk to mix well with the egg yolk batter until you cannot see the meringue.
  9. Continue to use the hand whisk to fold in the meringue into the batter gently till slightly combined.
  10. Fold in the balance meringue and gently fold till well combined (You cannot see any more meringue)
  11. Pour the batter into the cake tin and bake it in a pre-heated oven at 140C for 60mins. (I will use a stick to test whether it is fully cooked)
  12. Once it is baked, turn the cake tin upside down and cool it completely before removing the cake from the tin.
It is ready for frosting as per your plan design! 

Strawberry cream cheese frosting
Recipe: By TAGlicious
(To frost a 8 inches by 3 inches cake)

Things needed:
300g of cream cheese
60g of butter
50g of icing sugar
100g of fresh strawberries puree

Steps:
  1. Cream the cream cheese and butter till smooth using electric whisk.
  2. Add in the icing sugar and continue to whisk till smooth
  3. Add in the strawberry puree for the final whisking.
It is ready for frosting as per your plan design! 

TAGlicious’s note:
*This portion of frosting allow me to frost the whole cake with some left over.
* You can add in more icing sugar if the strawberry is very sour.

Look at the inner texture of the cake! Do you want a slice too? 



































Anyone in your family's birthday is coming? Try to bake one for them. They will sure love it to max. 

TAGlicious Ciao~

Do join me at my Facebook page Taglicious


No comments:

Post a Comment